Monday, August 4, 2014

Chapter Two

May 17, 1973
Dear Diary,
School dance tonight -- the last one of the year. No more eighth grade -- yeah! It was a pretty good dance, even though YOU KNOW WHO didn’t even look at me once. And I was wearing my new dress and everything. At least he didn’t dance with anyone special, not that I could tell anyway. Including that Jenny Parker. Blech. Oh -- that blech is for Jenny Parker -- NOT YOU KNOW WHO. Danced a lot with Ansel M.-- he’s nice, but just friend-nice. Not boyfriend-nice. But I think he might like-like me as more than a friend. What am I going to do about that. I don’t know.
Can’t believe school is almost over for the summer. I so want to get high honors on my last report card to just show up that smarty JP. And Uncle Tommy gets here the last day of school -- yeah! He’s not teaching any classes at his college this summer so he’s going to be with us at Nana’s lake house the whole time I’m there. Yeah again! I’m glad he’s driving me up there instead of Mama and Daddy -- they are so unfun and when they drive, we have to listen to their boring music on the radio. YUCK! I hope both Porter and Jack’s baseball teams keep winning so M&D stay here as long as possible and I can be on my own and have fun! Who knew my stupid brothers would be actually good for something?
Wonder what YOU KNOW WHO is doing this summer -- maybe I’ll get up the nerve to ask him before the end of school and then see if maybe we could be pen pals -- with me going away, that could be really good. I’ll see what Pammy thinks about me doing that -- how great would it be to be pen pals with HIM? Uncle Tommy says that writing as much as I can is good practice for being a writer. Which is why I try to write in you so much, Diary. Being pen pals with YOU KNOW WHO would be a double great thing. I could get to know him and impress him with my writing. That’s what I’m going to think about tonight as I fall asleep -- reading letters from YKW on the porch at Nana’s. Oh -- I’m also gonna think about Pammy’s skating party tomorrow afternoon, which is going to be so much FUN. I think Ansel’s going to be there because he’s friends with Pammy’s brother Gilly and it’s his party too. Oh boy. Oh well.
Until tomorrow, Diary.
Nixie

----------------------
Bryant Junior High
Home of the Pirates
1973 Yearbook
Property of Nixie McKey

Dear Nixie,
It’s been great sitting next to you in Math class. Thanks for all your help with the homework and everything. Your a great girl whos really cute and smart and a really good dancer. I hope that I can get to know you better and stuff next year. Or maybe even over the summer.
Love
Ansel Mahler
#78 Go Pirates!


Nixie Nixon (ha-ha -- don’t you think that’s funny?)
Have a great summer, Miss Smarty Pants.
Jenny Parker

Nixie,
I’m not gonna write a lot since we’re gonna see each other all the time until you go to your Nana’s house but it’s been a great year, hasn’t it. You are the best friend a girl like me could ever have (most of the time) and I can’t wait until we’re cool 9th GRADERS! Yeah! Oh -- thanks for all your help in English class with my essays. You’re the best writer I know and I’m so glad that we’re friends now cause that will be so cool when you are famous! I’m not going to tell you to have a great summer because I know you WILL! Wish I could go with you this year -- stupid music camp. Oh well.
Love ya,
Pammy


Miss McKey,
It has been a pleasure having you as a student this year. Your participation in class is always interesting and appropriate, particularly on Current Event days. You have also grown as a writer, and your Uncle Thomas should be very proud of you. I look forward to having you in my ninth grade honors English class next year. Please give your uncle my best. Have a good summer.
Regards,
Mr. Daniels


Nixie!
Didn’t we have fun doing the play this year -- and you’re right -- "Around the World in 97 Days would still be a better title."  You were SO great as Mrs. Murchison and can sing SO well -- almost as good as me. Ha ha! Can’t wait until next year’s show -- wonder what MK will pick out for us stars to do. Have a great summer -- maybe we can get together and go to the movies -- call me!
XOXOXO
Christopher


Trixie,
Be cool.
Kevin Ritter

No comments:

Post a Comment